Skip to content

Study Abroad Basics

Study Abroad Basics
Moe in EcuadorStudy abroad is an opportunity that is open to all UWG students to earn academic credit towards your degree while exploring your relationship to the wider world. Courses may be taught by UWG faculty or by faculty from partner institutions: either way, OEA will assist you in understanding your course options and how they can help you gain global perspective, important job skills and credit towards your degree. Answers to some frequently asked questions are below.

Do I have to speak a foreign language?

No. Many programs and semester sites offer coursework in English. At several exchange partners, you can combine language courses with discipline-specific courses in English. Study abroad is a great way to increase your language skills, and we do offer programs that will allow you to complete the language requirement in Spanish, French and German. However, it’s not essential to speak a foreign language to find a study abroad experience that will be academically and culturally enriching. Over the last three years, 73% of UWG students who studied abroad studied in English -- and they took classes all around the world.

What kind of programs are there?

UWG offers several types of academic programs. Students can participate in short-term study abroad programs – these may involve travel for a short period over spring break or for as long as ten weeks. We offer short-term campus-based programs led by UWG faculty as well as opportunities to study abroad with the system-wide USG Goes Global program. Students may also participate in semester exchange programs. These are full one or two semester programs that allow students to study at one of our partner universities abroad. Students take classes overseas but earn UWG credits. To help you understand the different types of programs as you search our catalog, here's a guide to program names:
  1. (UWG) Program Name: These are programs organized by UWG faculty. Contact information for the faculty program leader is listed at the top of the program page. 
  1. (USG) Program Name: These are programs organized by consortia of USG schools. Students will study with faculty and students from across the state, but they are registered for their courses at their home campus. The course numbers listed on each program page are UWG course numbers approved by our academic departments.
  2. Exchange Program Name:  These programs allow UWG students to spend a semester or a year studying at universities overseas with whom we have partner agreements. For most of these programs, students pay UWG tuition and fees along with living and travel expenses overseas. Our office works closely with our counterparts at each of these schools to make sure that students have a productive academic and cultural experience.
What’s included in the program fee?

What’s included will vary by program, so check the details when you begin searching for programs. Each program page has a section that indicates what's included in the program fee along with other costs you should be prepared for. For a semester exchange, there isn’t a specific program fee: in most cases, you'll pay UWG tuition and fees and then travel and living expenses on site. Each exchange page has a downloadable financial planning guide to assist you in developing your budget.

Isn’t tuition included in the program fee for a short-term program?

Tuition is not included in the program fee for short-term programs. Some short-term programs offer students the option of taking one course or more than one: thus, students pay tuition based on the actual credit hours they decide to take as part of the program. Tuition needs to be paid directly to the Bursar’s Office rather than to the study abroad program. 

How do I find out what my tuition will be?

Each program page has information about tuition and campus fees. Students who are studying abroad in the summer and not taking any other classes on campus that summer pay a reduced fee amount (International Fee, Technology Fee and Special Institutional Fee). To find out how much your tuition will be for the program you're interested in, click on the Costs/Scholarships link on the program page. Out-of-state students participating in study abroad programs may receive a waiver that allows them to pay in-state tuition.

Do I need to become a transient student to do study abroad?

In most cases, no. See the menu link to the left on Transient Status for more information.