Skip to content

Using Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits

Students who currently receive financial aid – HOPE scholarships, Pell grants, student loans or other federal or institutional support – may draw on those same funds to support their study abroad. The most important thing to know about accessing your financial aid for study abroad is to plan early
  • Once you think you'd like to apply for a study abroad program, contact the Financial Aid Office to verify your eligibility.
  • Students interested in studying abroad should accept the full amount they are eligible for in fall and spring. Money that you receive as refund in fall and spring can be used to pay your program fees.
  • Pell grants are now available for summer semester as well as fall and spring.   
  • In addition to federal loans, students may be eligible to apply for private student loans from a bank or other lender.
  • Scholarships funds are distributed directly to students, so it is your responsibility to pay them to your program to cover fees.

Information for Veterans: 
If you are a veteran of the U.S. armed forces or a dependent of a veteran and are eligible for GI Bill or related benefits, these may help to pay part of your study abroad costs. Generally, GI Bill benefits will cover tuition for courses that are part of your degree, although there are limitations on what might be covered in the program fee itself.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has put together an information sheet on what your benefits can or can't pay for in your study abroad program: GI Benefits and Study Abroad. You can use this information to help you plan for ways to cover those costs that you'd still have to pay. Also make sure that you contact UWG's Center for Adult Learners and Veterans ( for additional advising.